SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam Reasoning Preparation Tips: SSC CHSL is an important exam for a decent entry level government job. A large number of candidates apply for this exam every year. The level of competition is increasing at a fast pace. Therefore, only a best fit strategy can help you in getting this job. This article will help candidates with expert strategy for Quantitative and Reasoning section of SSC CHSL Tier 1.
Quant & Reasoning for SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam
Quantitative and Reasoning section, both are of equal weightage in terms of marks. The candidates can score brilliant marks out of these two sections. This can be possible if you have command over basic concepts and practice ample number of questions. Now we will take both subjects one by one.
Although the syllabus of every section is vast, but there are certain topics from which maximum questions are asked every year. Therefore, we should categorize topics according to their weightage. All topics are categorized into three priority lists. Once you complete syllabus, start taking Mock Tests for CHSL exam and do proper analysis to know your grey areas.
|Profit or Loss|
|Ratio and Proportion|
|Time and Work|
|Time speed and distance|
What to Expect in SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam??
We will start with first list of topics as these are the most scoring topics. Now we will discuss strategy for every topic in details:-
While preparing for this exam keep following points in mind:-
- Learn by heart all important identities of trigonometry from tenth and eleventh class NCERT.
- Learn values of trigonometric values from 0 to 360 degree by heart.
- In height and distance questions learn results of some standard questions, like height of a tree when bent due to storm.
- Practice questions where trigonometric form is to be simplified.
- Practice all previous years’ questions.
- Learn by heart formulas for areas and volumes of all important 2D and 3D figures.
- Use unit digit and digit sum method instead of calculating till end.
- Practice questions based on more than one figures like Cone and Cylinder.
- Questions based on percentage increase or decrease in area and volume.
- Practice all types of questions from line graph, pie chart, bar graph, tabular forms etc.
- Use options in some situations, if options are different use approximation up to some extent.
- Use ratio and percentage methods for quick calculations
- Sometimes mere visualization is sufficient to answer questions.
Algebra / Number System
- Learn by heart all algebraic identities
- Assume values of variables for quick calculations
- Remember unit digits of higher powers of numbers from 1 to 9
- Practice questions on Remainder theorem, number of zeros, LCM and HCF of fractions, Factors, AP and GP.
Percentage / Profit or Loss / Discount
- Learn by heart conversion of fraction into percentage and percentage into fractions i.e. 50% = ½
- Learn by heart reciprocals of numbers from 1 to 30.
- Use unitary method in solving profit and loss questions.
- Sometimes using resultant discount concept saves a lot time.
- Use of Allegation method in solving percentage questions.
- Learn by heart all theorems of triangles, circles, and quadrilaterals.
- Learn all formulas based on areas and parameters (especially triangle)
- Learn all formulas related to centroid, in center, circum – center, median, ortho – center etc.
- Learn properties of all types of quadrilaterals.
Ratio and Proportion / Allegation / Average / Time and Work
- Use of allegation in average of two different groups
- Finding ratio between numbers when indirect relations are given
- Average questions where someone leaves or joins a group
- Questions involving negative work concepts
Simple Interest / Compound Interest
- Questions based on the difference given between SI and CI for 2, 3 and 4 years.
- Use of allegation in SI and CI questions for quick calculations
- Questions involving both SI and CI concepts
Time speed and distance
- Use inverse relation and direct relation between time speed and distance.
- Use of concept of relative velocity
- Train and boat based questions
- Finding coordinates of a point based on some conditions
- Mirror and foot of perpendiculars of a point, collinear points based questions
- Section formula based questions
In this section the candidates should focus on the following topics given below with important points of focus:-
Classification / Analogy
- Questions based on number or letter series
- Analogy based on general knowledge i.e. sounds of birds or animals.
- Finding odd one out based on some parameters
- Questions based on Analogy and Letter shifting.
- Coding letters of a word, using operations on reciprocals of alphabets
- Coding and decoding in fictitious language.
- 1 or 2 Matrix of letters with numbers are given from which correct set of numbers for given word is to find out.
- In such questions solve using options from bottom to top.
- From the given word find whether the given option words can be formed or not.
- Most of the time word cannot be formed is asked.
- It can be meaningful order of doing a certain task, or following a certain rule.
- Most probably dictionary order based problems will be asked in which words are to be arranged according to dictionary sequence in ascending or descending order.
- Problems based on Venn diagram, Syllogism, For example represent the relation between Student, Teacher and Boys.
- Simple problems that can be solved by just drawing all information on paper
Blood Relations / Missing Number
- Family tree or general blood relation problems.
- Find the missing number from the given matrix or diagram.
- Number based puzzles like 7 × 5 × 6 × 5 = 6575, then 8 × 7 × 4 × 6 = ? Or Find the correct equation type questions or Quant based questions like on age, speed and distance or Seating arrangement questions.
- Mainly questions on Number, Alphabet series. Questions like Complete the pattern, Assemble Image.
Non Verbal Reasoning
- Mirror Image, Hidden Image, Counting Figures. Figure based Analogy/Classification/ Series or cube based questions may be asked.
Work hard on your weak areas to turn them into your strength!!!
If you wish to be updated regarding all the SSC recruitment exams, their patterns, syllabus and other important details, download gradeup. It provides free notes, study material, quizzes, updates of upcoming exams and mock tests for various competitive exams.